Republic of the Union of Myanmar
Office of the President
Directive No. 3/2020
13th Waning of Tagu, 1382 ME
(20 April 2020)
Prevention of incitement to hatred and violence (or) Prevention of proliferation of hate speech
1. The Republic of the Union of Myanmar is a multicultural society. We believe that every human being has a right to a dignified life, to be treated with respect, and to live without fear of violence, intimidation, or discrimination based on group identity or personal characteristics. Therefore, we must strive to bring together diverse communities on the basis of common values of mutual understanding and mutual respect for each other.
2. Proliferation of hate speech may lead to discrimination and violence within our communities. This undermines our aspirations to live with dignity and to build a peaceful and harmonious society. Moreover proliferation of hate speech hampers our well-being, diminishes our dignity and undermines our virtue.
3. Therefore, all Ministries and all Regions and States Governments are to ensure that its personnel, officers, staff — whether military or other security forces, or civil services — and local people under its control or direction shall take all possible measures to denounce and prevent all forms of hate speech. All ministries, their agencies, departments and offices shall further encourage all personnel to participate in and support anti-hate speech activities.
4. Hate speech refers to communications of any kind that denigrate or express animosity towards a person or a group on the basis of religion, ethnicity, nationality, race, gender or other identity factor. Incitement to violence may constitute hate speech.
5. Each ministry as well as region and state government shall report to the Office of the President on the measures it has taken and the progress made with respect to the above-mentioned.
Ref; The Global New Light of Myanmar