State Counsellor concludes official visits to European Countries
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a press release yesterday on conclusion of official visits to European countries by State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.
The following is the full text of the press release.
1. State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi arrived back in Yangon on 10 May 2017 at 11:30 hrs. upon completion of her official visits to the Headquarters of the European Union, the Kingdom of Belgium, the Italian Republic, the Holy See, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from 1 May to 9 May 2017.
Visit to Belgium
2. During her stay in Brussels, the State Counsellor met with His Majesty King Philippe and H.E. Prime Minister Mr. Charles Michel of Belgium on 2 May 2017. At the meeting with the Prime Minister, they discussed matters on promotion of bilateral relations and cooperation, provision of assistance in the field of water resource management and the capacity building of Myanmar Police Force, Myanmar’s peace and national reconciliation process and, Belgium’s assistance to promote democracy in Myanmar.
3. The State Counsellor met with H.E. Mr. Donald Tusk, President of the European Council and attended the Working Lunch hosted by H.E. Mrs. Federica Mogherini, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice-President of the European Commission. At the meetings, they exchanged views on promotion of Myanmar-EU bilateral relations and cooperation, addressing the challenges faced by Myanmar during its democratic transition, Myanmar’s peace and national reconciliation process, holding of the second session of 21st Century Panlong, and promotion of stability and development in the Rakhine State, regional and international issues, promotion of ASEAN-EU relations, and the holding of Asia-Europe (ASEM) Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in November 2017 in Myanmar. Following the working lunch, the State Counsellor and the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice-President of the European Commission held a joint press briefing and responded to the questions raised by the media.
Visit to Italy
4. The State Counsellor arrived at Italy on the afternoon of 3 May 2017 for an official visit. She received Mr. Romano Prodi, former Italian Prime Minister and Mr. Vincenzo Scotti, President of the Italia-Birmania Insieme organization separately and discussed matters on preservation of cultural heritage and development cooperation in Myanmar.
5. The State Counsellor met with H.E. Mr. Angelino Alfano, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Italian Republic, on 3 May 2017, and held bilateral discussions with H.E. Mr. Paolo Gentiloni, Italian Prime Minister on 4 May 2017. At the meetings, they discussed matters on promotion of bilateral relations and cooperation, provision of assistance from the Italian government in preservation of cultural heritage in the Rakhine State and upgrading of cultural museums in Myanmar, and cooperation in the fields of agriculture, trade and investments in Myanmar.
They also exchanged views on Myanmar’s peace and national reconciliation process, promotion of peace, stability and development in the Rakhine State.
6. On the morning of 4 May 2017, the State Counsellor met with His Holiness Pope Francis at the Vatican City. After the meeting, the two sides announced the establishment of diplomatic relations between the Republic of the Union of Myanmar and the Holy See. Afterwards, the State Counsellor met with His Eminence Cardinal Pietro Parollin, Secretary of State of the Holy See, and exchanged views on political development in Myanmar, and the government’s efforts for peace and national reconciliation.
Both sides expressed their pleasure for the establishment of diplomatic relations.
7. The Holy See is a sovereign city state enjoying an observer status at the United Nations, and has already established diplomatic relations with over 180 countries. The establishment of diplomatic relations between Myanmar and the Holy See was approved by the 4th Session of the 2nd Pyidaungsu Hluttaw on 10 March 2017. The two sides agreed to establish diplomatic relations at the level of Embassy on the part of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar and of Apostolic Nunciature on the part of the Holy See. Myanmar Ambassador in Austria will be concurrently accredited to the Holy See.
8. In the afternoon, the State Counsellor attended the International Parliamentarians’ Conference which was held with the theme of ‘Migration and Gender Equality’ at the Chamber of Deputies of the Italian Republic and delivered a keynote speech as the Special Guest at the opening session of the Conference.
H.E. Mrs. Laura Boldrini, Speaker of the Italian Chamber of Deputies and H.E. Mr. Paolo Gentiloni, Prime Minister of the Italian Republic also attended the opening session of the Conference.
Visit to the United Kingdom
9. The State Counsellor arrived in UK in the evening on 4 May 2017 to pay an official visit. In the afternoon of 5 May 2017, the State Counsellor met with Prince Charles and the spouse at the Clarence House in London. Then the State Counsellor had the royal audience with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and attended the Luncheon hosted by Her Majesty to the Myanmar delegation at the Buckingham Palace.
10. In the afternoon, the State Counsellor visited St. Mary’s Hospital, which has been assisting Myanmar for the development of medical education. In the evening, the State Counsellor attended the dinner hosted by the Rt. Hon. Boris Johnson, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs at the Carlton Gardens Residence in London.
11. At the dinner, the two sides discussed matters on promotion of bilateral relations and cooperation, capacity building of Myanmar Police Force, development cooperation in health
and education sectors, continued support for Myanmar’s peace and national reconciliation process.
12. On 8 May 2017, the State Counsellor attended the Presentation Ceremony of an Honorary Freedom Award conferred by the City of London at the Guild Hall and delivered a speech at the event. Afterwards, the State Counsellor attended the lunch hosted by Alderman Sir Alan Yarrow, Acting Mayor of London.
The Honorary Freedom Award is the highest honour which the City of London confers, and the State Counsellor has been conferred this Honorary award in recognition of her efforts to achieve peace, freedom and democracy in a non-violent way and the exceptional leadership at the international political stage.
Previously awarded persons are former UK’s Prime Minister Mrs. Margret Thatcher, South Africa’s late President Mr. Nelson Mandela, famous scientist Professor Stephen Hawking, and Lady Diana, Princess of Wales.
13. While in London, the State Counsellor met with Sir Michael Fallon MP, Secretary of State for Defence and Mr. Alok Sharma, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office of the UK, and Mr. Rory Stewart, Minister of State at the Department for International Development (DFID) respectively. At the meetings, the two sides discussed matters on Myanmar’s peace and national reconciliation process, including the Rakhine State issue, the UK Government’s assistance in the capacity building of Myanmar’s Police Force, developments of Myanmar and promotion of bilateral cooperation in the fields of education, health, electricity and energy.
14. On 9 May 2017, the State Counsellor met with Myanmar Community in the UK at the Landmark Hotel in London.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
MOFA issues press release
State Counsellor concludes official visits to European Countries